Compared to air conditioners and furnaces, heat pumps are more energy efficient. They move heat rather than generate it, plus you can use them throughout the year (a heat pump provides heating and cooling). The system is more cost-efficient to own, but what about installation? We’ll look at the cost of heat pump installation in Marion County, Oregon, to guide you in your quest for comfort and efficiency.
Average Heat Pump Installation Costs
In 2023, homeowners paid an average of $6,351 for heat pump installation in Marion County. The average cost range was $2,761 to $9,941. That includes the average costs of materials, equipment, and labor in the Salem area. By comparison, the average cost for homeowners nationwide in 2022 was $5,895 with a range of $4,193 to $7,603 (the high-end cost was around $11,000).
What Determines the Cost of Heat Pump Installation?
- Local Rates: Contractor fees in Marion County can add $762.12 to $952.65 to the overall cost of a project.1 Permits, inspection/building fees, and city and county sales taxes for materials and supplies can increase the cost beyond your initial estimate as well.
- Heat Pump Capacity: On average, a heat pump can cost as little as $3,500, but a 3-ton-capacity unit ranges from $3,900 to $6,200. A 5-ton unit can cost as much as $8,800. The right capacity depends on the square footage of your home and other factors.
- Heat Pump Type: Heat pumps vary significantly in cost based on the type. You may pay $1,300 to $8,000 for a mini-split system. But the cost can increase to anywhere from $18,000 to $34,000 for a solar-powered heat pump. In the mid-range, you can find air source units for $4,500 to $8,000 and geothermal systems for $6,000 to $20,000.
- Brand: If you choose a heat pump with a high-end brand name, you could spend thousands more for the same type of equipment offered by a lesser-known brand. High-end models often come with perks, so it’s important to do your research when shopping around.
- Ductwork: Unless you install a ductless mini-split system or already have ductwork installed, you’ll need to consider the cost of ductwork installation. The cost of air ducts varies considerably with the material and is calculated per linear foot. Galvanized steel ducts are higher in price while flexible polyester ducts tend to be lower (regardless, ductwork installation adds thousands of dollars to the project).
How Can I Save on Heat Pump Installation in Marion County?
Some homeowners consider installing a heat pump themselves to save money. While this does avoid paying labor fees, it does not eliminate the cost of materials, permits, duct setup, excavation, and electrical equipment. Plus, there are no benefits to attempting installation yourself if you have no experience. It can end up costing you more in errors and improper setup.
But you may find ways to save if there are local tax rebates. The Inflation Reduction Act includes tax credits for homeowners who install heat pumps. If your household qualifies, you can get a credit of as much as $8,000! Regardless of how much you receive, selecting the right sized heat pump will save you on energy costs over the life of the system.
Contact Air Stars to Learn More
Air Stars is a leading heat pump services company in Salem and the surrounding area. We’ll help you realize all the benefits of heat pump installation in Marion County, while our team provides high-quality maintenance and repair services as well. You can expect flawless service no matter the scope of the job. And, our special offers and financing make purchasing a heat pump more convenient. For help choosing or servicing your system, and for an honest price quote, call 503-897-9292 today.