Up to 30% of the air in ductwork can escape due to leaks, holes, and poor connections, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.¹ Damaged ducts can lose even more conditioned air. Duct leaks may develop over time due to poor installation, corrosion, cracks, tears, or thermal expansion and contraction of metal. To mitigate the effects of these issues, Air Stars provides duct sealing services in Oregon; we’ll explain why you should hire a professional.
Can I Seal Ducts Myself?
The DIY approach to duct sealing often involves the mistake of using duct tape. It does not last or provide an effective seal. Many homeowners use mastic sealant, but it’s often too thin a layer to be effective or not enough tape to seal the entire leak. Insulating all accessible ducts can help, including those in the attic, basement, garage, or crawlspace, but it doesn’t mean all hidden areas are properly sealed.
Don’t Take Chances
Professional duct sealing is a wise investment for many reasons. At Air Stars, we recommend it not only because we offer it as a service, but because it can improve your well-being. Hiring the right contractor for the job is good for:
- Comfort: Controlling the temperature in your home can be difficult if your ductwork is leaking. Signs of a leak include uneven heating or cooling. No matter how often you reset the thermostat, you may not achieve the right temperature in every room. But sealing hidden duct leaks can improve comfort throughout your home.
- Air Quality: A duct leak, no matter where it is, can let in contaminants, including allergens, dust, fumes, outdoor pollutants, and particles from insulation. A trained technician can isolate where the hole, break, or tear is and seal it to prevent any further contamination.
- Safety: If you’re trying to access hard-to-reach ducts, you risk injuring yourself and causing more damage. Fumes from gas-powered appliances like furnaces and water heaters can backdraft through leaky ductwork rather than exit through your ventilation system. Let us address the issue so you remain safe and your family isn’t exposed to harmful gases.
- Energy Efficiency: Duct sealing helps reduce the amount of energy your HVAC system uses to provide temperature and humidity control. In the process, it can also reduce your carbon footprint and the amount of air pollution your home generates.
- Saving Time: From finding leaks to sealing them, HVAC professionals use computerized equipment that speeds up the process. They can find faulty ducts without tearing apart drywall. Aside from saving time, this also reduces repair costs as the contractor won’t have to break through and replace walls.
Hire a Duct Sealing Professional
Most HVAC contractors provide duct sealing services. A professional uses proven solutions to seal air ducts and prevent any further leakage. They can inspect your entire duct system, evaluate the supply and return balance, and seal all leaks and connections with specialized tape or aerosolized sealants.
A contractor can also insulate ducts that run through unconditioned areas like an unfinished basement, garage, or attic. Air leaks can occur at registers and grills, but a technician can seal them more tightly to ducts to minimize leakage. Once your ducts are sealed, they can add a new filter as well and perform a full airflow evaluation.
Call Air Stars Today
If you live in Salem, Keiser, or surrounding areas, Air Stars can provide duct sealing or determine whether more extensive repairs are needed. We also replace old ductwork. Our friendly technicians have the skills and tools to evaluate your duct system and will explain their findings and your options in detail. To schedule professional air duct sealing and insulation services, call (503) 461-4014 or contact us online.